View Single Post
      09-26-2014, 07:37 PM   #17
HowardM
Banned
Rep
Drives: Mercedes clk

new 228i OK SO FAR drive train warning

Well, just drove home 50 miles and things seem alright with drivetrain computer screen warning. Moonlight silver and track package to boot. Interesting as it seems, my loaner 328i was much more fun to drive than I thought! It had a sport setting and the steering seemed just as full and firm as the 228i (in certain drive modes). The 328 might be just as fast from a moderate throttle start! One thing...it is a bit heavier and has what I would call a more "Planted down" feeling while my car is more spirited to maneuver and also has larger sport wheels (touch firmer)
Another thought. The 3 series in COMFORT mode feels a bit loose in the steering. But put it in the SPORT mode and it is tight and heavier than I imagined from years past. This all has something to do with the 228i's adjustable sport steering I would presume. The 228i in SPORT+ mode feels as tight in the steering as the 3 series does in the sport??? (Is this possible/) Yet put the 3 series in COMFORT AND everything loosens up. In contrast, the 228 in comfort has a tighter slow ride steering than the 3 series. This is a bit confusing as I contemplate the 2 rides on my way back home with my 228i. So far, I enjoy my car in SPORT mode...and even more in SPORT plus....except the ride gets a bit firmer, as compared to the 3 series ride. Does anyone have any interesting comments or theories on this?
Appreciate 0