04-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #36
vinny84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post
Words cannot describe how much I hate that stupid headlights of the current 1er. I am all for the "idea" of the 2 series, but it better not carry that same front end.

Also, as far as I'm concerned BMW never really took advantage of the opportunity to (re-)capture the enthusiasts' heart with the 1er, given that they are very much set on turning the 3er into the 5er of two generations ago.

Wouldn't it be only logical to then turn the 1er into something more like the old-school 3er, with more engaging dynamics, less insulation / weight, and more aggressive chassis tuning? But that's not what BMW has done, instead they seem to be very much focused on making sure the 1er DOESN'T drive like a small car that it is.

So if the 2 series really materializes, here is hoping that it would be a purer, more engaging expression of the BMW-ness, sans the stupid headlights.
Yeah, you can thank EU and US safety regulations for that. Added weight over the years has mostly been because of stricter safety regulation laws, thus making even "small" cars weigh more and perform less than they should.

Now if you're looking for something more "pure" then that's where the ///M division comes in. You're going to have to pay a premium if you want a sports car you can daily drive.
Appreciate 0