View Single Post
      04-02-2024, 12:39 AM   #12
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
I have an M235i Convertible. So if I was to replace the M235i for a similar type of car, I’m not sure what it would be. There not being a 2 Series ‘vert version any more, the BMW candidate would be either a Z4 (only 2 seats) or an M4 (expensive). But for the price, I don’t think that BMW make anything like the M235i/M240i convertible any more - they’ve effectively dropped out of the segment it represents.

For a coupé M2xxi owner, the only similar car is the M2. And for me, unless you’re tracking the car, or spend a lot of time on well-surfaced, twisty roads, I’m not sure it’s worth the premium. And the compromise on the ride for driving to the shops or in urban traffic. But I’m sure it’s right for some people.

In all honesty, if the BMW wasn’t a convertible, we’d have ditched it by now. Our 2nd car is an EV - a Peugeot e208 small hatchback. The EV is simply more responsive than the ‘vert; has linear power at any speed; no throttle lag at all; no gear changes; no visits to the petrol station; maintenance cost almost nothing; and no preventive work like oil changes for for the engine, auto box or LSD; and effectively zero fuel costs as I can charge at home on ridiculously cheap overnight rates. And it cost 40% less than an M240i. Downside is it hasn’t the refuelling range of the petrol car (~130 vs ~300 miles) but our use profile means this isn’t an issue for us (though it won’t be right for everyone).

So for me, the replacement for the M235i ‘vert would be something like the MG Cyberster (attached): 0-60 in 3.2 seconds (if that’s your thing); similar price to a Z4 M40i; and all the plus (and minus) points of an EV.

If I had the M240i coupé, I’m not sure I wouldn’t just hang on to it indefinitely, or at least until it gets to the big 60K mile point where you have to make decisions about more expensive preventive maintenance.
Attached Images

Last edited by msej449; 04-03-2024 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
dradernh4471.50