View Single Post
      05-30-2017, 08:06 PM   #1
xojustin
schmember
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i AW/BLK

Thumbs up Sunroof Noise - FIXED!

My M has had some issues, some of which the members of this forum shared, but most seemed to be able to get fixed / handled by myself or the dealer (still wish we had a better fix for the steering wheel)...but regardless, there was one issue that I seemed to be in the minority of: A loud popping / cracking noise coming from the sunroof shade.

It started happening out of nowhere and could easily be recreated by just pushing slightly on the shade. I tried to diagnose the issue myself, brought it up in multiple forums, and brought the car into the dealer 3 seperate ocassions...but was met with either "We can't find the issue" or "There isn't an issue."

Finally, I had enough, I knew I wasn't crazy, so I told my local dealer that I don't care if it's covered or not, please just replace the shade and I will pay out of pocket.

Well, when they took off the headliner to reach the shade, they noticed the sunroof cassette / rack had a huge crack in it. We were all pretty stumped as to what could cause this. Unfortunately it's not covered under warranty however since I continued to bring the car in for the same issue, they were nice enough to replace the entire cassette and shade for me free of charge (apparently a $2k part).

No idea what could've caused this, but glad it's finally taken care of. Sorry if I blew up on anyone

Edit: Video won't upload / will try again tomorrow
Appreciate 0