View Single Post
      01-30-2014, 09:32 PM   #72
alexb
Naturally Aspirated
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330xi

I can only assume that they're talking about no 2-Series GC because of cost. The M235i is outrageously expensive. It starts at $43,100! That's $11,000 more than the 228i (typically, that gap is closer to $6000). Adding $300 to the M235i gets a 335i sedan, which starts at $43,400. We all know that the GC will cost more than the 2-Door coupe (the 6GC costs $2200 above a standard coupe). BMW hasn't left themselves any room to price the car reasonably between the 2er coupe and the 335 sedan. What person would pay more money for a smaller car? I think that's why they're saying the 2GC is DOA.

The numbers look much better when you're comparing a 228i and a 328i. There's definitely room for a 228i GC, a car inexpensive enough they could advertise it as starting in the low to mid thirties. Would they offer that without offering a 235 GC? I don't know. I think for those of us who would like a smaller BMW, we're going to have to hope they bring us a 1-Series sedan, even if it's FWD/XI. I imagine that's what it will take for BMW to offer a compact sedan in the correct price bracket. We're looking for an out-the-door price of mid to high thirties... which would be possible with a 228i GC.

Even if the hypothetical 1-Series sedan is FWD, I'll strongly consider buying it because I'm sure it will be available with a stick. CLA and A3 are both automatic only. Which is a damn shame, particularly in the case of the A3.
Appreciate 0