12-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #127
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: dark-blue coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonjt View Post
I do think that BMW's diesels are rather nice but, it's hard to convince the old lady of that. People her age get stuck in their ways and, worse yet, she doesn't understand automotive technology, at all. To her, diesels of today ar the diesels of old. Loud, slow, ticking, and smelly.

In my case, the issue is that it's impossible to get a car with a proper chassis, without spending lots of money and buying a 400+hp motor. The only car I can think of that bucks this trend is the FRS/BRZ.
Having a sharp chassis is far more fun, at legal speeds, than lots of power. BMW was once the go-to manufacturer for such things but, I'll have to look else where, when I purchase next. If things do go well, I'll buy something like the BRZ/FRS for everyday driving and, have something from Stuttgart.
I can think only on one car that would satisfy all your needs.
The new Porsche Cayman.
It's affordable (some 56.000 $), it's beautiful, and the way it drives! You almost get the feeling of driving a motorcycle!

BRZ/FRS are totally not usable for driving; like a surf board with wheels; teriible

Your mother is right on one point; diesels stink! With this humid winter weather you turn off the car, go to take something from the back and you have to hold your breath from the acidic penetrating smell; it stinks beyond description.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0