01-08-2018, 12:32 PM   #23
mcompact
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by reward72 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what’s the problem with having a sunroof? I don’t care much for it myself and rarely ever open it, but I don’t mind it. The weight? The head space? Paying for it?
Well, for one thing, I haven't opened the sunroof in my M235i since I bought it nearly two years ago. More importantly, the 2er is my HPDE instructor car and I have an aversion to adding over 50 pounds to the highest point of the car- as TC Kline once told me, it's the equivalent of mounting the battery to the roof. That said, when looking at CPO cars it's hard to find one that ticks every box.

As an aside, I ordered my Club Sport in August 1995 and took delivery in November 1995. I ordered the limited slip and the premium sound. Munich at one point wanted to build all the Club Sports with sunroofs(shades of Max Hoffman’s “Mandatory Options” on the 2002!), but my salesperson went to bat for me and she had the car built without a hole in the roof. The best guess is that no more than ten Club Sports were produced without a sunroof. I still have mine; it has 140,000 miles on it and I am never, EVER selling it.
1999 Wrangler Sahara
1995 318ti Club Sport
Appreciate 0