04-23-2005, 10:16 AM   #19
CaptJack
Mach 1 in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Run-flats

No, unfortunately I wasn't there. I'm not affiliated with BMW or the dealership other than knowing many the people there and having owned a bunch of BMWs.The feedback was from those that were at Moroso and drove the cars.

I will get a chance however next Sat. when BMW holds a "Ride and Drive" event for the E90 here in Ft. Lauderdale. I got an invitation through my dealer. If you've never been to one of these they are a real "Hoot"! After a slick rollout and introduction by a BMW rep to the new car you get to go out, do some "Hot Laps" with a pro driver, and then have a shot at best time in an autocross that they set up for the attendees. They undoubtably will have a skid pad area set up to demonstrate/evaluate the DSC, brakes etc. (All while using THEIR cars) as well as a chance to take the vehicles out onto the roadways and test drive them around town. They usually have the competition's cars there for you to drive and compare against their new offering, in this case I would guess it will be: MB C class, Lexus i300, Jag X series.

These events typically aren't publicised or listed in the "Events" section of the BMW web site since there is only a limited number of attendees they can handle. Anyone who is interested in one of these "Ride & Drives" (and who the heck in their right mind wouldn't be) should check with their local dealer to see if one is scheduled in their area.

This will be the 4th one I've attended when a new series was brought out, and they are more fun than you can imagine. Food, entertainment, displays and a couple BMW NA reps to answer questions. It's kinda like 3 Across America taken to whole new level.

Now, if I'm REALLY lucky I'll be driving to the event in my new E90 330i since it should be at the dealer this coming week. The big question will be if BMW will let them deliver the car before May 6th.

Almost forget to mention this: The service manager at the dealer here had cautioned about putting non-run flats on these cars until other reliable testing has been done using them (ala Tire Rack or car mags). The reason is that the suspensions of all e90s have been specifically tuned to run on these tires and the possiblity exists that some rather nasty consequences might occur if running on tires with much softer sidewalls. - Just something to think about.

Also, I don't know what the tire brands were.

Jack

Last edited by CaptJack; 04-23-2005 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0