Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FUNCAR View Post
My wife and I are buying a 2018 M240 Coupe (in the build process now) as an early retirement gift to each other. We're stepping-up from a 2002 Miata that we've owned for 15 years and loved dearly. It handled like a go-kart on steroids and was loads of fun. I've always wanted an @ss-kicking sports car so we started looking at the Challenger and Camaro, but V8's with automatic transmission (my wife was growing tired of the stick). The Challenger was a blast and the throaty exhaust growl was a pure delight but Chrysler products tend to come up low in reliability. Having owned three, one had an electrical fire at 16k miles, another had windows fogging on the inside which no one could figure out, etc., we lost our zeal for the Challenger. The Camaro was drop-dead gorgeous but, sigh, another American car with so-so reliability. We considered another Miata but wanted something faster and a wee bit bigger. We considered a BRZ that was very nice looking but not much faster than the Miata and only a pinch larger. Everything seemed to have at least one fatal flaw until... I was reading the Consumer Reports annual car issue and stumbled on to the 2 Series. High quality. Fast. Great brand reputation. And surprisingly price competitive to the Camaro/Challenger when factoring in my supplier discount. And the rest, I hope, is going to be many happy years and miles in the M240. Sorry for being so long-winded.
My 2016 M235 has been trouble free for over two years and 22K miles and CR does list the 2 Series as the most reliable BMW of the bunch. HOWEVER, you'll be sorely mistaken if you think this car will be reliable past it's warranty period. BMWs can turn into maintenance hogs once they're about 5 years old and you'll probably be spending 2 to 3 times the amount of money to maintain the 240 once it's out of warranty compared to something ultra simple and reliable like you Miata.

These are stellar cars and I absolutely love my M235 and I'm very happy with it's quality and robustness, but I also know that it will be expensive to maintain in the long term. Also, the $6K cylinder head, $15K engine short block, and $5K 6MT do worry me a bit if something catastrophic were to happen outside of warranty. The big powertain parts on these cars are CRAZY expensive. LOL
You have any statistics on the failure rates for the big and expensive parts? Everything I've read so far is that when given proper maintenance, these are very good vehicles.
Appreciate 0