05-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #56
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
I guess I just don't understand why the number of cylinders matters given the same performance figures since it will be lighter and have better fuel economy. Especially given how annoying M owners are about it being a "drivers car", it doesn't make sense to desire something solely because of a purely meaningless data point of 6 instead of 4. I think at this point in time in engineering a 6 cylinder will probably be the preferred choice by BMW due to power delivery (given current technology), but if that decision is made it will have nothing to do with this poll or enthusiast sentiment. It will be because it is the best option. That's what makes a BMW a BMW. If people honestly would not buy it because of the number of cylinders perhaps you should check out a Mustang...

You have answered your own question !
The number of cylinders in itself is not the issue. How that will translate into how the car drives, feels, its power delivery to use your words, turbo lag, sound, throttle sensitivity, sound, rev range, rev buildup etc.. are the issues we are concerned about.

There is no doubt that given current technology, the I6 will have the advantage in all these categories (assuming the current technology is applied to either engine). The only categories the 4 pot will be better at are: weight, weight distribution and fuel consumption.

If you told me that BMW was spending billions of Euros on R&D to develop an I4 that would equal or better an I6 in these categories mentioned above, then I would absolutely have no reservations and favor the I4.
The reality is we all know that this is not the case.
Appreciate 0