View Single Post
      12-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #140
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Fully agree. xDrive is simply not a performance all wheel drive system. The extra weight along with the poor dynamics of driving the front wheels makes the car not as track worthy. If the car had Torque vectoring like the S4 or GTR, that would be a different story.

My wife drives my RWD E46 through Michigan winters with snow tires with no issue. While there's no question that AWD improves performance on snow/ice, the vast majority of people would be fine without it if they just made sure to keep the proper tires on their car.

So instead of everyone whining about not having xDrive available, just save some money and buy a set of winter wheels and tires. Problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
I have driven 650i, 650i Xdrive, and M6 on Track (Monticello, NY) for a few hours.

You can research how the Xdrive system works so I won't go into tech specs on that.

1st, Xdrive system is very capable on track. very fun, very fast, solid, stable, and feels very neutral all throughout the track. I was simply surprised at how any of the 6 series can be so capable on the track because I thought they were supposed to be touring cars.

Once I hit the first corner in the RWD 6 series, I started to appreciate the lightness and nimbleness of the RWD car. there was easily noticeable lightness to it even from the acceleration. RWD is simply a better car on the track. RWD was more fun but I'm not saying xdrive isn't fun at all. If I were to rate the performance aspect of each car on 1-10 scale, I would put the Xdrive at 7, RWD at 8.5, and M6 at 10.

M6 on track is in another league. Monster of a car. it has so much torque that I was turning the car with the throttle with ease. very stable, rock solid, super HP, super TQ, and super grip.

So back to your question, is xdrive worth it on M235? IMO, no, xdrive doesn't belong on the 2 series. we have 3 series for that. 2 series is supposed to be a fun car. if you get a lot of snow, put on some blizzaks and you will be more than fine with RWD. How I know? I used to drive my S2000 in the winter on blizzaks for 2 years without a problem.

no comment on 0-60 times or 40-60 times...
Appreciate 0