10-10-2017, 04:49 PM   #36
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Flippin' the pancake over:

It's hard for me to justify mounting a smartphone in some ugly, thief-tempting, wire-tethered, potentially interior-ruining way when I can pop in a solution that is completely stealth and clean-looking (I'll include the Awron gauge in this as well) while keeping the smartphone out of sight and appropriately connected to iDrive in the center console ...

... particularly after years upon years of doing what you describe with both smartphones and GPS units in various cars. I'm way, way, WAY over that.

Torque/DashCommand/OBD Fusion are great, but I'm into integrating my bells and whistles, and so are many others -- otherwise, the P3Cars gauges wouldn't sell at all.
My OBDII uses BT; no wires. I simply have my phone in a cup cradle by the shifter and monitor boost, IAT, oil temp, coolant temp, and timing all at once. I then run and control Pandora through my non-nav IDRIVE screen via the car controls.

I guess I really don't see the point in monitoring the parameters all the time unless I were tracking the car. Now that I've had my setup for a while now, I already know how long it takes to warm up the oil depending on ambient temp and if the motor is cold/warm, typical boost values depending on gear and load, when timing gets pulled because of elevated IAT, etc. It's fun to watch the gauges, but I don't need to see it all the time. If I do want it, it's one click away on my phone. My OBDII dongle is always plugged in.
Appreciate 0