Thread: 228i vs. M235i
View Single Post
      01-13-2015, 11:54 PM   #69
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I have driven both several times now in manual and auto. The 228 feels livelier slightly in how it handles and the 235 has a stronger surge. I drove both side by side and even at the short course at a couple of car events. For me where I put much more emphasis and importance on driving dynamics and feel, I came away with a feeling that the 235i dissapointed me a bit and the 228 surpassed my expectations. It is plenty quick and once the engine warms up sounds good. they are both too soft for my taste but I can't shake the feeling that the 228i is a really nice package.

I think in the previous 1 series there was a big gap between the 128 and 135 but I feel that the gap is very close now and they actually overlap each other especially if you configure the 228 as light as possible with manual seats and no sunroof and M brakes.

When I see a 235i on the road, I like it for its size but feel they left so much potential on the table and I feel a little bad. When I see 228, I feel that little guy is punching above his weight and maybe someone appreciates the nimbler feel over straight drag race numbers.
Appreciate 1