12-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #118
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: dark-blue coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonjt View Post
Well, BMW is definitely out to make money, it's not the automaker it was in 1995.

I'm not a fan of the direction of the new 3 series, either. There is no reason to make it a mini 6 series. And, it's not really a mini version either. I think the tentative dimensions were something like 2 inches shorter than the current 6 series. Ridiculous. The only saving grace is that the 2 series may end up being the correct size.

I've never really spent any time in a 5 series or a 7 series. I know that hte 7 series tends to be at the cusp of new technological and ergonomic developments but, as far as comfort goes, I thought the 5 series was just about a good as the 7. Maybe I'm wrong.

If my wife wore skirts often, I'd make damn sure I watched her climb into an X6 every day. haha.

More seriously, I understand where your friend's wife is coming from. I'm just not yet understanding why the 7 series is preferable.
It's okay that BMW wants to make money; it's needed to prosper. The problem is the direction taken by some guys in the marketing department.
They should use another brand name or badge for the FWD platform. In few years time, when one says "I'm driving BMW" the others are not going to think on a luxury vehicle.
Mercedes innovated the CLS (Coupe sedan) and BMW is now copying this into the 2 Gran Coupe, 4 Gran Coupe, 6 Gran Coupe,...
Where are the body forms of true sports cars? A sedan form with two doors is not a sports car (6er Coupe).

The new 5 series is practically as good as the 7 series.
The wife just got what the husband was driving.

over and out! it's late here in Europe I'm going to saw some wood in my bed
Appreciate 0