View Single Post
      07-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #86
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

I actually did cross-shop a 128i and a 5.0 GT since that is the true comparison in term of price 4 years ago and will probably cross shop a 228i, a M235i and a GT again. Different times, different cars. Back then with a budget around $36K, I picked the 128i over the GT because of the connected feel, it was slower but felt tighter. Loved the V8 but also loved the N52 engine, it was close but I thought that I would be way happier in a 128i. The next time around I am way less certain. I am pretty sure that the 228i is out because I don’t feel like an upgrade getting from the wonderful creamy N52 engine to the N20 engine (hate 4 cylinder engines, always did, I don’t care that they are more efficient). Seeing what Ford did with the focus ST, makes me believe that the 2015 will be more of a sports car than the previous model and the newer BMW (exception for the M3/M4) are not getting in a direction I like in term of connection to the road. At the end of the day, it will be settled by test drive but I bet on the GT as far as best bang and smiles for the bucks for the low 40k. Also they look like they vastly improved their build quality. The big question will be how the steering feels, how the car feels as a whole and about the character (want a V8 before their gone).