View Single Post
      04-01-2019, 08:29 AM   #13
ratherbbankin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1997 Ford F-150

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt888 View Post
CarMax values all cars at FAIR condition. They offered me just below what the dealer offered me on trade in on a mint, low mileage car. They calculate values off wholesale pricing they get from auction databases. They will give you an offer on the low end of fair, but it's an honest no BS price, and you get paid that day. Same when you buy a car from them, they charge a little more, but you get well priced optional warranty experience, in a no haggle, low pressure environment.

If your car is truly a cherry, it's better to sell it private party but you deal with tire kickers and it could take up to 2-3 months. You also have to wait for a buyer with cash or good credit.

If your car hasn't sold this is because of basic supply-demand. Your asking price is most likely too high. Before I bought mine, great deals were sold in days. You listed your location as Earth, which isn't going to help other people give you good advice, but if you're in a cold weather state, private parties mostly don't buy cars like this in the winter. It's warming up, so if you can hold on, lower the price little by little until it sells. I would also try craigslist and carguru. Good luck - I know your financial situation may be tight and your desire to get the most from the sale is within your best interest, but this is irrelevant to the idea of market pricing.

Yeah, there is no way Carmax is going to give me anywhere close to what this car is worth, and I'm not going to take a $3k ding just to move it quickly. I don't mind dealing with the tire kickers. I wouldn't say it is a cherry, but it is in the top 25% for sure. I've sold a lot of cars and never had this much trouble before. Had it listed for over 4 months. Also, I live in Georgia, so weather shouldn't be an issue. I've lowered the sales price $500/month for the past 4 months, and that hasn't seemed to help at all. I'm hanging in there though. Thanks for the thoughts.
Appreciate 0