View Single Post
      04-15-2014, 09:04 AM   #9
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detlev Bronk View Post
228 is a great car, but the question is if you're really willing to pay for the overpriced options that add nothing to the car's performance. Is tech package that important when you have a phone? Is it really worth it to pay over 4k for the pitiful premium package?

Only packages I intend to go for are Dynamic Handling, Xenon lights, M sport brakes, xdrive, and maybe heated seats.
Performance is just one aspect. The others are that I will be in that car, along with my wife, for several years, and don't want to compromise on other desires. I want satellite radio and I don't want hang-on, non-integrated navs anymore. Phone navigation while driving....tried it and it doesn't work very well, is hard to see, and very tired of stuff hanging from the windshield. They brilliantly split up satellite from nav to sell both packages...annoying, but less so than going without.

OTOH, I would not spend the money and have the parasitic performance and handling losses of the weight and mechanics of X Drive. Michigan winter experience has reinforced that a set of Blizzaks on rear wheel drive does just fine, and then there is no daily penalty the rest of the year.
Appreciate 0