View Single Post
      09-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #164
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

I know this thread has gone onto arguments of the merits of M3/4s over the M235i. Trends noticed:
- Feelings of M235i owners who wish they could own the bigger M cars
- Defense of M235i owners who bought their cars for a reason

I won't contribue to either. But my thoughts on my purchase:
- The M 3/4 are too big for me. Coming from an Audi A4 (B8), I wanted to downsize.
- The M235i hits a sweet spot - reminds me of my 318ti long ago and E46 after that.
- That sweet engine ... wow, I just fell in love with it on the test drive. Unlike my Audi, it had torque all over, smooth a silk, and such a growl.
- 99% of the time, my A4 was not the family hauler, but just my wife and I. We got her a Q5 TDi. Her upgrade meant more room for my down-size
- The A4 has become tired. I still think mine looks great, but its big and there are a ton of them out now, far too common for my liking. I knew it would happen eventually though.

In the end, the M235i just fits me, my life at the moment, and my desires. The M3/4 are gorgeous, almost shamelessly so. But I'm not at that place in my life were I would want one of these in my garage. Maybe after my first retirement - I just don't think M cars should be Daily Drivers - they should be special events, in and of themselves. With the new Q5, kid prep for college, I could not see having 2 toys in the garage. So the M235i will be my awesome DD and maybe I will get a track toy at a later date.
Appreciate 0