View Single Post
      08-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #160
olaosunt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235,JB4/ER DP/BMS INTAKE/MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
True. An M2 with a tune will likely out gun a stock M4.
But then, an M4 can be tuned too.

Throw enough money at most cars and they can match or better many higher priced cars that have already done the work for you and give you a warranty to go along with that higher level of performance.

Tune the M2 and it'll be faster. Tune the M4 and then that tuned M2 will need more tuning and more parts, like a larger turbo, better flowing exhaust, and then there's the suspension........

Then there's the whole other thing that gets missed, the M4 is a BMW.
With that, BMW doesn't just set out to make a fast, great handling sport coupe. It sets out to make a fast, great handling sport coupe along with the luxury level of the base model.
That interior costs money. The whole cost doesn't just go into the go fast bits. Then there is the sweet looking body and that costs more too.

Sure, you can get an M235i to go as fast as the M4 if you throw money at it.
You can probably get it to handle as well and even better if you throw more money at it. You can make it look nicer inside and outside if you throw more money at it. In the end you have a quite expensive customized car, nothing wrong with that for those who want something personal and unique.
Or, you can get an M4 that already has those things done for you, and it will have a very nice warranty along with really good resale value.
The highly customized M235i not so much.

It's awesome that the M235i is so highly praised in comparison to the M4.
If I go with the M235i next time around I'll be very happy.
But it gets that praise for the performance to dollar value, not because it's the better car.
M3/M4 buyers don't just buy the performance they want a BMW with high performance and one that looks as good as it does inside and out.

Here's is my take and please pardon the long post.
I went to my BMW dealer to to compare ordering an M3 ED vs getting one when deployed through military sales.I bought my E90 M3 from them in 2009 with a sticker price of $63kfor $55K .I was planing towards a stripped model I know I could get for $57Kthrough military sales and wanted to know if it would be close with ED
I have alway struggled with paying more than $55 K for a car and I guess $60 k is my threshold.I would quite frankly rather have 2 cars that cost $50 K than one that cost $100k
I had traded my 5 yr old E90 M3 last winter for an S4 and was longing to get back in an M3.
I drove to the dealer in my modded 2011 GT500,that made 700 rwhp and ran the quarter in high 10's.I had seen an M235 on the lot that I thought looked stunning.My guy( who has now sold me 3 Cars) suggested we take the M235 for a spin- suggesting it may give me a "feel of what the new M3 may be like.
I knew that was BS but went along anyway as I was curious.
i know he was just trying to sell me the M235 since he had one and was trying to discourage me doing ED or getting an M3 through military sales.

I was blown away !The size was just right.It felt nimble ,"tossable" and fast in straight line even compared to the Shelby! I had always thought they would bury me in the Shelby but I started thinking about trading it in after he offered me more money than I ever thought I would get for it(ended up selling it privately to an SVT forum member for almost 5k more so glad I did not trade it then).
I bought the car and later decided against keeping the shelby(planing on a 2015 GT to which I may add "twins" or the GT350.)
My wife was pleased as I finally got rid of one of the mustangs(for now)she called my pets-I kept the 800 rwhp 5.0!- it is not worth half of what I have put in so truly stuck with it for life...... What's my point?
Well last month they got an M4 and I was kind of mad I did not wait when I saw it. It looked stunning and kind of made my "cute" looking M235 look cheap !
However when I took it for a test drive I was glad I got the M235!
Yes ,it felt fast but I hated how it sounded .It may be the same weight but it sure felt huge I guess compared to the M235!
I have since spent roughly $600 on a JB4 plus some money on cosmetics like a lip,spacers,springs and MPE. I think the car looks and sounds great and even though still not as good looking as the M3/M4. I still stare longingly at times any time I see another newly delivered M3/M4 but spend more time driving the car then looking at it .The M235! honestly "feels" like one of the fastest car I have drive. on the street and sound awesome.Inam considering a down pipe but since the wife also likes driving the car(even though she learnt how to drive with a stick she hated my manual E90 M3 and would not even consider driving the Shelby)I may hold off If I can get the car to run a high 11 without one .
I love the drag strip( I know that is not the cars strongest point) and the car holds it own runing 12.40 112.5.This is my first auto car and I love it.
No stress drag racing.i love the look on the faces of my Mustang brethren when the car outruns shelbys(stock and in need of driver mod!)
It will also hang with bolt on 5.0's.
The best I ever ran in my manual E90 M3 was a 13.4- I only went once or twice and was kind of embarrassed to go back .Yes I am sure it would shine on a track- but that I never did(afraid to add other car related addiction that would be 10 times more expensive than drag racing!)
As a daily driver it is perfect( looks like the S4 is going to be limited to winter use -may be I will trade that for an x drive "for my daughter")I never thought I would feel this way about an automatic but the lower end torque is so intoxicating.Also convinced me turbo charging my next mustang using small twin turbos is the way to go vs supercharging which I have always done.

I don't even miss shifting myself ... That much.I do occasiony use manual mode and although it is not quite the same at least there is still a "stick" and I don't bother with he paddles.Most times I just leave it sport "double plus" I know it does not make a difference from "just plus" but I like the way it up shifts for a moment when I do.
Loving the car!

Last edited by olaosunt; 08-30-2014 at 11:15 PM..
Appreciate 0