View Single Post
      07-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Cool Rumors of M235i Coupe and Other M Performance Models Coming to U.S.

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Rumors of M235i Coupe and Other M Performance Models Coming to U.S.
COMMENTS
Name:  BMW-2er-Coupé-F22-2013-Roger-Lighterness.jpg
Views: 30034
Size:  89.5 KB

Ever since the introduction of the first M Performance cars (the new BMW model lineup slotting between the M models and regular series cars) earlier this year, we've been hearing and BMW has been hinting at such cars for the North American market.

Now that the first petrol model, the well-reviewed M135i (official info | reviews), has debuted, Autoweek is reporting that the M235i coupe will be the first M Performance model to arrive in the U.S. and Canada. The report states that the M235i coupe will start sales in the States in early 2014, after a debut at the 2014 Detroit Auto Show. We think this may be too early of an estimate however, unless the M235i will be launched concurrently with the standard F22 2 series coupe (the model more likely to have the timing described in the report). The 1 series coupe and convertible are expected to be rebadged as the 2 series coupe / convertible for the next generation model.

M235i coupe is said to be coming with the same N55 engine configuration as the M135i - a turbo 3.0L inline-six rated at 316 horsepower, paried with a six-speed manual or a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox. Rear-wheel drive will be standard, but all-wheel drive may be offered in some markets. A convertible M235i is also rumored to be coming.

Keep in mind that a M235i coupe model will not be a replacement for an expected future M2 coupe model - the successor to the E82 1M Coupe. Instead, it's a model which can be viewed as the successor to the current 135is coupe, to slot in between the standard 235i coupe and the M2.

See the rumored lineup for the future FWD 1 Series, RWD 1 Series, and 2 Series models.

*Note: the image above is a speculative render only of a 2 Series Coupe, courtesy of site member Roger Lightness (hi-res version).

Appreciate 0