View Single Post
      08-02-2023, 06:20 AM   #5
twolegittwoquit
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Convertible

I’m not an expert, but have researched this topic a bit and purchased a couple N55 cars in the last couple years.

The first photo is showing *edit* the front of the car, nothing near where an oil leak would form. it would be very odd for oil to accumulate there, I think? It seems more like oil might be dropped there from an oil filter change but otherwise no idea how oil would end up there so I’d assume the previous comments about what that might be.

The common oil issues these engines might have are the valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket. Oil filter housing is front of engine and near center, just to the right as you face the engine (there’s a round oil filter cover on it). See if you can find oil dripping from that.

The valve cover gasket often drips (if it’s dripping) onto a metal piece on the left side of the engine, down quite a bit from top of the engine. You can see where the valve cover stops (it’s black plastic) and where oil would drip onto this tray, but you need a flashlight. It could still be dirty, and that doesn’t mean oil is leaking.

The one time I caught this on a used m235i, I also could smell oil burning in the cabin (didn’t buy that car!).

On a low mileage car I’d be surprised if it had oil leak issues.

Last edited by twolegittwoquit; 08-02-2023 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: Stated wrong term
Appreciate 0