View Single Post
      12-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #19
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

This is a hell of a deal for a factory race car; I might be tempted if on came here. It also seems great news for the upcoming M2.

In the long run I doubt that BMW could have their factory race car built on less than the sportiest model in the range, so I assume this car either already shares much with the M2 or it will in the future.

The Porsche GT3 Cup cars for years provided a crucible to both hone reliability and provide upgrade parts to GT3 street cars. This car (which at this price must share much of its DNA with the street cars) seems likely to do the same for the upcoming M2, hopefully offering that car both more track durability and potential factory upgrade parts (like adjustable swaybars and camber, etc) that have up to now been missing from even BMW's sportiest models. While only a small subset of customers care, for those of us that do that's a very good thing.

I'm loath to give up my 1M, if this is an indication of the way the M2 is going I might be sorely tempted. Particularly if the diet is successful.