10-11-2017, 09:53 AM   #55
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberwalk View Post
Had it in a CPO X-3 I bought a bit later and now can't do without it. (Well, I can but why?)
Because it presents a significant security risk to your car being broken into. Car thieves regularly use transponder recorders/amplifiers to pick up a passive keyless entry system's near-field signal (the amplifier function allows them to do this from a distance), then mimic the frequency to get into your car.

Last year, nearly a dozen cars of several makes in my condo building were broken into using such a device -- twice in a six-month period. My 2 Series doesn't have 'Comfort Access' passive keyless entry; that likely spared me (and a pair of $400 sunglasses in the glove box, among other things). If I can help it, I will never own a car with passive keyless entry again (I purposefully left it off the option list for the Porsche I now have).

Last edited by Viffermike; 10-12-2017 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 0