TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanecarmaster1 View Post
1. Pointing out that the S3 likes to get its tail out is me saying that they're moving in an ideal direction: BMW is busy pumping fake sound into its interior while Audi is busy making their cars more fun.

2. The Audi RS5 is what I had in mind when I said that. Yes, AMG is downsizing - I'm not denying that. (The e90/e92/e93 M3 is out of production before you bring that up.)

3. BMW is cheapening their interiors. I thought that my F30 loaner was going to break when I touched those air vents! Everything feels hollow and without much attention to detail. Even the newer 6s and 7s feel somewhat normal in interior quality.

4. Yes, the i3 and i8 are innovative, and I can see reducing the weight of the mainstream vehicles as a product of the i3 and i8, but I'm speaking about simple aspects on a mainstream scale. Look at the new S550. Cameras that scan the road for imperfections, completely LED, scented air, the design, heated door panels and armrests, etc. Those types of moves aren't coming from BMW.

My mission was not to prove anything, just to put BMW into perspective from my observations and opinions.
You make fair points.

1. The flip side to that if Audi wants BMW money (by making cars more fun), BMW wants Lexus money. You can only stick to one formula for so long before you start to see flat growth.

2. Not really an observation. By stating that, you're implying that BMW/Mercedes isn't making those engines but VW/Audi are continuing to do so. Again, it's a generation thing.

3. Perhaps you can make an argument for the 3-Series (I personally think the F30 almost makes the E9X interior feel more shitty whenever I sit in one, but maybe that's me.) But you can't honestly tell me the 5-Series, 6-Series and 7-Series are cheap interiors today and not an improvement from the EXX chassis. I don't know many people that would agree with you. The 6-Series, from a quality and layout perspective, is the best interior BMW has ever built and rivals that from Audi and Mercedes.

4. Not going to argue this because we can go back/forth. What I will say is, the reason why the new S-Class has all those features is because Mercedes is turning the S-Class into something more that Audi and BMW won't do to the A8 and 7-Series because they have Bentley and Rolls Royce. All those things you listed in the new S-Class are lifted from the Maybach - they're trying to kill two birds/one stone.
Appreciate 0