Drives: 08' 335i, ZHP 330i

Garage List
88 .  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mangler View Post
That's because 65% of the people in here are too young to remember 4cylinder cars.

I'll take the E30 M3 over the E30 325is M Technik any day. Only real enthusiasts know the difference and why. 95% of all BMW drivers have no clue what engine in in their car anyway, it fit their lease range and color combo.

T
I'd love an E30 M3, but that's not the same thing as an M2 with a four cylinder. The E30 M3 was a much, much lighter car than we'll see with the M2. The only way we're getting back to E30 weight ranges is when composites become cheap enough to use in mid-range sports cars. That could be a ways off, and by then, they'll be electric anyway.

If we get an I4 in the M2, it will be turbocharged to some ridiculous level. I bought a 135i instead of an Evo or STi primarily because of the difference in character. The N54/N55 is much more linear in its power delivery. The S14 was well regarded for its linear delivery as well.

In contrast, a 2.0L I4 turbocharged to 300 HP is always going to struggle in the low RPM range unless you fit some exotic solution like a variable geometry turbo or some sort of hybrid-electric gizmo. It's a matter of physics.

With the M235i having a turbo I6, I just can't see BMW putting an I4 in the M2. There's just too much risk to perception from buyers.
I just drove the new 328i today and I have to say, that car with a tune would be perfect daily driver.

It's faster than my n54 335i stock for stock.

The gearing in the new tranny is what makes the difference. You might be surprised if you ran the numbers on acceleration of the new 328i vs the s14b23. That 328 weighs a hell of a lot more but also has a hell of a lot more torque <4500 rpm where the s14 can finally get out if its own way.

I've owned all the cars listed here. There are classics that are special and new cars that are special. You can't compare Jim Brown to Adrian Petersen. Same position different era.

The ///M2 will be special. The only ///M car that wasn't was our E36 332is Mtechnik.

T
Appreciate 0