Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
Just read some of the more thoughtful responses already written in this thread. You seem to be ignoring them as an act of will.

Also, since I couldn't put it better then bimmerfile, let me paste in his quote from another thread, as I can only assume you didn't care to click on the link he supplied on the subject:

Before this becomes too much of "a 228i vs M235i as a DD" pissing contest, let me say this about that.
I had a 2015 228xi MSport ragtop for about 6 months before I had to turn it back to BMW because of a total vehicle recall.
While I loved that 228i, I decided to replace it with an almost identically equipped 2016 M235xi ragtop.
If it wasn't for the sound of the engine and exhaust and slightly faster acceleration, there is very little (if anything) difference in handling and performance (imho) - and both of those differing attributes have both positive and negative aspects.
1. The sound of the N55 engine and exhaust are nicer under acceleration, but the loud engine/exhaust drone in D on highways is annoying.
2. Acceleration in the M235i, while faster is not as much fun as it was with the 228i. With the 228i, I could put the hammer down for 4 -5 seconds on an on-ramp and the N20 would sing with a beautiful note. With the M235i, you're lucky to get 2 seconds with the hammer down before you're 20Kmph over the posted limit.
Overall, I'd say that for me, they equally as much fun. But, the 228i is definitely better value.
1. Engine sound is subjective. I don't think anyone would call the engine sound of a 235 in D/comfort annoying. It's almost nonexistent. If anything the drone he mentions is road noise from the PSS tires. Also the 235xi that he had comes with run flats if I remember correctly. Those will produce more road noise.

2. Saying not to get the 235 because it accelerates too fast is silly in my opinion and again completely subjective. The gas peddle is not an on/off switch and you can easily modulate it. In fact most people will say the extra TQ on the 235 is what makes it so fun to drive everyday. It's one of the reasons I bought mine.

Yes, the 228 is better value for most people on a budget.
Appreciate 0