05-31-2016, 09:58 AM   #48
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0tsuya View Post
That Buick thing is a bad comparison. 228i and M325i can be spec'd to be pretty much equal in all but the motor. It all comes down to what people think is a better value to them. 228i gives you better mileage and is sufficient for people who are OK with less torque. I switched from a e46 330i and the 228i gives little to no difference in power so I don't think I'd be satisfied with the 228i. When I priced out 228i vs M235i I found I can get 33% more power for 9.5% more $$$, I find the M235i to be the better value.
It's not a bad comparison; it's an exaggeration to demonstrate a point. As you know, there are those who will tell someone, "Car A has more horsepower than Car B, therefore Car A must be the better performance car." Which, as you know, is baloney.

Let's get even more exaggerated: Is a supermotard motorcycle with 65HP a poorer performer than a literbike race replica with twice as much horsepower? Not on your life. The performance capabilities are simply different ... particularly when operator skill is taken into account ...

... which brings us right smack dab back to how each individual defines what is 'better', doesn't it?

Appreciate 1