View Single Post
      03-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #99
2buyer
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@Bimmerpost View Post
It sounds to me like you've already figured this out!

Losing 235lbs on the 235i would be marvellous. But you need to be honest with yourself about whether those extra horses matter to you and whether you find joy blasting up and down off ramps more effortlessly.

I think if you're after balance and handling, the lighter car will win here given that you can spec the chassis the same way. I've preferred the lighter, less powerful car in the past. For example, strangely enough I enjoyed the E46 328i more than the 330i. There was less power, but there was also less weight over the nose and having less power meant I spent more time working the smaller inline 6 harder to get the same thrills. Driving fun isn't about how fast I'm going... it's always about how hard I get to work the car. If that also meant getting a lighter and more responsive chassis, it only sweetens the deal.

You know what they say about having more fun driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow. Maybe this same principle works here.

Just be SURE with yourself that you aren't going to miss those 80 horses of easy, effortless power.
HP isn't the only important variable for me (I'm with you). While I concede the M235i's exhaust note is intoxicating, 5.4 to 60 is plenty quick enough for my purposes - M3 territory until fairly recently. Speed limits/road standards haven't increased, while traffic and gas prices have! And the 228i doesn't sound bad at all.

Most reviews of the F30 and X1 (when they came out) seemed to suggest that despite the hp deficit, the driver's car of the range was that with the N20 (rather than the N55) - for all the reasons you mention. I choose BMW because I enjoy driving. Wouldn't anyone not "after balance and handling" - for whom "extra horses" are the main thing - be better served by AMG or Audi? Or saving money by going Ford, Chevy or SRT?

Would love to read your review of the lighter car (228i MSport DHP), should you get a chance to drive it.

Last edited by 2buyer; 03-14-2014 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0