View Single Post
      03-13-2014, 06:26 PM   #98
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@Bimmerpost
When you say turbo lag, do you mean a non-linear power delivery? i.e. As you move thru the rev range, power does not build linearly but instead comes in a rush past a certain rpm range as torque kicks in hard? I'm thinking of cars like the original 2.0L WRX. That, to me, was a 'laggy' engine.

I never felt that in any of the driving in the M235i. This was on both street and track. Felt linear to me.

The other case of lag is in the change in throttle position. Either off throttle back to on throttle as in entering the turn, or making fine adjustments during the corner. The example you gave. In this case, having a slushbox versus a DCT or manual does affect my impression of the 'lag' because a slushbox will dull the throttle response.

Yes, the S65 being naturally aspirated and being tuned the way it is will always be more responsive. But that's kind of like comparing the very BEST of what naturally aspirated has to offer with a much more mass consumption turbo engine.

In absolute terms, the S65 will make the N55 feel laggy. I don't dispute that. It's no M3. But I try to be fair and balanced when I am making an evaluation of a car, and it wouldn't be quite fair to call the M235i's motor laggy just because it isn't as hair trigger responsive as the S65 in the M3! The original 2.0L WRX was laggy; the M235i is not.

Just my two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
What does an autobox have to do with turbo lag? I meant on transitions as in your trail taking and then getting back on power. You mean there is instant throttle response there?

Because my wife's n55 has super turbo lag.

Now jump in the s65, instant response.

Just asking for an honest evaluation. If there is even a hint of lag it should be stated. Not a blanket sentence like if there was its unnoticeable because I'm pretty damn sure its noticeable to a lot of us.
Was talking about throttle response on/off transitions. It doesnt have to compare to an m3 but even an n20 (smaller everything) has less lag in throttle response or any other NA powered car.

Is it similar response to any other n55 variant? Eg. 335/135/535. I would hope that in the 235i they would have done something to it!!!
Appreciate 0