View Single Post
      03-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #94
Alumac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: prudently

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2buyer View Post
You single out WEIGHT as the M235i’s biggest negative, then finish the video saying “[Until the M2 arrives] this M235i is the best of the 2 Series.” I’m wondering if the 228i MSport with DHP could possibly compete for that title. After all:

It can be had with the same sport seats, steering wheel, aero etc. (MSport); same adaptive suspension + variable ratio steering (DHP); yet without the M235i’s mandatory (high center of gravity) moonroof, heavier (&higher?) power seats, and those heavier M brakes and wheels (surely overkill on the 228i - unless you plan to track it maybe). Overall, the 228i is some 235 lbs lighter (just what you ordered!).

As a result, the 240hp 228i MSport gives up a mere 0.6 seconds to the M235i to 60mph (4.8 to 5.4 secs with 8 speed) and has the same limited (155mph) top speed. But with less weight (which is better balanced - front to back, top to bottom, sprung to unsprung) it should push less in corners and handle more neutrally than the M235i, no?

In defense of the M235i, it sounds great (I’ve driven both M235i and base 228i). This is possibly the best argument for the M235i unless you're always on the freeway and the extra hp is important. Also, if your use case would make the slower, less efficient manual transmission desirable (mine unfortunately doesn't), I understand the M235i has a better one (than the 228i).

With no Autobahn (but lots of traffic and cops) here in LA, I’m thinking I might get more daily satisfaction out of the balance and efficiency of the sleeper 228i MSport than the heavier, thirstier, more expensive, halo car M235i. Is there something I’m missing? Would value your thoughts.
Like you said, living in LA where there is no Autobahn, and fun can only be had in short bursts, what is better placed to give you that opportunity? I suspect an extra ~80hp will matter more than than the ~235 lbs weight difference.

The number of people on this forum that conflate what is necessary for good track times, and what makes sense in the real word, makes me
Appreciate 0