Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30form
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
they said that the m perf lsd wasnt good enough and they had to mod it to their liking...i would think they need something locking 100% like the m3 lsd???
Source???
http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/cars/b...8#.U9rHx4lXfCR

Quote:
Er, not quite. BMW wasn't able to supply manual-transmission cars and the traction-control software on the paddle-shift cars in these shots kept getting in the way. The inside rear wheel would lift, the standard, 25 percent limited-slip differential would do its best and then the electronic stability program would shut the power down before both rear wheels got properly lit up.
"It's like driving a computer."

Californian ex-motocross star Riley Harper, whose function seems be about equal parts ringmaster, choreographer and general go-to guy, explained: "We flew in a BMW factory technician to re-write the software - which helped, but not enough."

Finally Drift Mob's own MacGyver, known only as Zach, opened the differential housing on one of the cars and welded the crown wheel and pinion gears to lock it solid. Then he fitted a rough-and-ready additional handbrake, plumbed directly into the rear brake callipers, and that did the trick, despite the concerns of the BMW egghead that the car's sophisticated electronics would not take kindly to such cavalier treatment.
Appreciate 0