View Single Post
      05-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #324
drakensoul
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
I get what you're saying, but I think it intentionally misses the point. You're welcome to compare an M240i to an empty semi, but I can't recall the last time I cross-shopped the two. You've chosen an intentionally contrived comparison to illustrate a point, but what is the point?
Aww, I thought it was pretty simple At this point it's becoming esoteric and

I thought the point was that density is a poor metric of vehicle performance. That is what you're comparing, no? Otherwise you would have just listed older BMWs compared to newer ones to show that BMWs have become relatively more dense. If you're comparing it to other cars you are implying that it somehow relates to performance, otherwise you're saying something is more dense just to say it's denser with no real purpose. What's the point? I was assuming you weren't making an argument just to beg the question.

I was highlighting that footprint density is a (very) poor comparator of performance by virtue of being almost entirely based on the exponential variable in the denominator (vehicle length and width).

I.e.: you can equilibrate the footprint density of the 235 with the SS by shaving 160 pounds off of the 235, but it's still massively outmatched with its current engine (still 670 pounds overweight to equal performance of the SS based on ~8.2lb/hp for the SS). In other words, the 235 would need to weigh <2700 pounds with its current engine to match the SS's performance, even though it's only 160ish lbs off in density. Quite a gap there, no? Because density doesn't relate well to performance.

Heft/weight per HP is a meaningful comparison variable for performance because it actually is a metric of performance (ability to overcome inertia), and density again plays almost zero role because density is based exponentially on footprint or volume.

But if you were saying that it's denser just to say it's denser... using a formula that has near-zero bearing on performance, then... okay?

Edit: And I don't own or want to own a Camaro! I'm still deciding between used 235 or leasing a new 240.

Last edited by drakensoul; 05-29-2016 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: I don't own a Camaro!
Appreciate 0