View Single Post
      01-27-2020, 04:46 PM   #17
Mtwotreefif
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Coupe

Installed BMW M LSD this weekend, not that hard

So after reading as many posts as possible, I was expecting a hassle and many hours of work. That's not what happened.
First off, the only special tools I bought were a pretty large 50mm open end wrench from Amazon, ($30ish) and I got a Harbor Freight 800 lbs. Low Lift Transmission Jack ($145). I do have a 5000lb Quickjack which is very nice, but it could be done on some good jack stands.
I have an Active Autowerke exhaust, so once I loosened the slip joint behind the resonator, removed the 2 13mm nuts, the exhaust was completely clear.
After removing the frame brace and the rear heat shield, loosen the carrier bearing on the propeller shaft, set the parking brake, loosen the 50mm prop shaft nut, then remove the carrier bearing bolts, the shaft will clear the diff and drop down. Support the with small jack stand.
Then I used a regular old 18" automotive pry bar put the tip in the recessed grove of the half shaft and popped it a couple times. Came right out. I used a 12 point 8mm closed end wrench to remove the vibration damper, so don't buy the special torx tool. I strapped the diff to the trans jack, removed the rear and two front bolts, lowered the jack, used the jack screws to angle the right side up and worked the left side shaft out, the lowered the diff and slid out the right. Took about 1 1/2 hrs with breaks.

Last edited by Mtwotreefif; 01-27-2020 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: forgot a word
Appreciate 0