04-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #16
paulbrenneman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey 335i M-Sport ZF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
I agree to a certian extent (believe me, I REALLY like the 2-series) and will probably replace my e90 with a 2-series (M2 please!).

With the M235 weighing 3500lbs, I think they're getting away from a complete enthusiasts car. 3500lbs is heavy for a small, 2-door coupe. Why does the Subaru WRX weigh so much less with AWD?

I have taken great pains to drop as much weight off my e90 (a 330) as I could. My car weighs 3,260 lbs with the standard BMW battery. Yes, I can feel the difference in weight when I drive my buddies cars that weigh over 3,500lbs. Anyone that drives my car thinks it's a 335.

In the end, I'm more interested in the 228 with the track package because it weighs so much less than the 235. It will handle better and be so much more fun in the twisties.

I really hope BMW goes balls out with the M2. Drop the weight to what the 228 weighs and give it about 360 - 380hp and they'll hit a grand slam!
Weight is a huge factor in the dynamics of a car of course but (not to point the finger at you) but I think the importance of the numbers are blown way out of proportion on the internet sometimes. We can't really know how it really feels until driving it and further driving it back to back with a M235i. In my opinion, it really isn't the specific number of lbs that matters its how it feels to drive, in the same way I don't think the specific number of horsepower is as important as how powerful it feels.

But I'm with you, I think reducing weight is important and I can't wait to see how it performs on the track. I watched this video earlier today with the M235i on Willow Springs and man it looks fun! The 2 series seems like a really great chassis, hopefully this new 228i track pack will bring that epic M235i driving experience down to an easier to reach price

(
)

Last edited by paulbrenneman; 04-16-2014 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0