View Single Post
      10-17-2022, 06:36 PM   #57
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
but arguing that because the car is 3800 lbs it can't be higher performance is absurd.
I slightly misread this quote earlier as 'can't be high performance'. I would agree that overall a heavier car could return a quicker lap time and so be higher performing if that is your measuring stick. Being higher performing in individual areas of acceleration/braking/cornering is another matter, whether that matters I think depends on size of differences and vehicle use.
I track a little but more enjoy the twisty roads in our alpine & surrounding region. Carrying roughly another 200kg (440lb) through corners especially when there is a lot of left/right turning with virtually no straight bits in between would be less enjoyable, slower and wear tyres/brakes much quicker.

Did some searching and found the BMW Germany pdf spec docs for each M2 model on release so excludes option variations for different markets, weights (kg) given unladen (ready to drive 90% fuel) & DIN (add 75kg for passenger/luggage), all for 6MT:

M2 1495/1570
M2C 1550/1625
M2CS 1550/1625
G87 1700/1775

In the accompanying G87 press doc they say the carbon roof option saves 6kg and the M Carbon buckets save 10.8kg.

It will be interesting to see if the G87 after release runs in the annual Bathurst 6hr. It's been won by BMW's for several years now, last year an M2C won up against previous winning F80 & F82 cars. Across the mountain it was quite a bit faster. Though it's a series production race the rules allowed them to fit all the M Performance parts (carbon roof/front guards/bonnet/boot lid) and I believe run the M2CS tune, so on the control tyre it had a good weight advantage with slightly less power of the F80/82. Can't see how the G87 can be competitive with all that weight on a control tyre.
Appreciate 0