03-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #108
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Sorry but out of the three volume Premium manufacturers out of Germany BMW is regarded as the most innovative at this time. Aluminium Spaceframes and LEDs are now past tense as BMW have caught up with this technology (Rolls-Royce Phantom) and in some cases surpassed it ( Laser-Light on the BMW i8.)
No other manufacturer has achieved the symbolic achievement of mass producing CFRP for volume production and in its most cost effective form. Any other competitor with CFRP in the same capability the customer pays for that because it is not produced in-house.
The G11 BMW 7er begins the Carbon Age for BMW. The competition know it is coming and whilst there is curiosity there is also concern. In June 2015 we will see everything become apparent.

The thing you should know about BMW is that in an ever changing industry there is only one constant. Adapt or die.
BMW have the ability to change as required yet still stand still on their sportier philosophy.
Scott, I hear you but all the innovations you talk about are either costly upgrades (i.e. LED) or non-existing in the current models (CFRP, well except for I-brand). Anyhow, regular people don't buy cars for presence of LED or some other high tech alone. A car is a package. Does it make sense for me to spend 50K for car I barely like visually (i.e. design). Do I want to buy a new model car with last models engine (i.e. 335/435)? They talked about weight reduction, CFRP, etc. Where is that in F3x cars?
So maybe it is the most innovative in Germany, but that innovation exist in their labs and not in the cars you can buy today. About Rolls-Royce Phantom, I am not sure how this example is relevant on here - perhaps Ferrari/Aston Martin forum will be interested.
Anyway, I am skipping F-generation for reason that whatever has been released is not for me. Like I said, if I need a car soon, I'll spend 50K on Macan and be excited; otherwise, I'll wait for the next generation of BMW cars which according to you, Scott, will have the superior tech package. So we'll see.
Appreciate 0