jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeomatic View Post
Smooth is good advice. I used to race a bit and an old-time racer told me something that I never forgot.

"Coasting is your friend."

Braking and acceleration introduce slippage to any situation, but when you are coasting, you have the maximum amount of tire grip and chassis balance.

As such, if you get your braking correct early into a turn, you should have plenty of speed and be able to coast as you crank through the tightest part of the apex just using the wheel for control. Just coasting. If you do it right, you will feel your chassis "hook up" into a groove like you're on rails. Then wait patiently to smoothly accelerate out again. Early braking, late acceleration and picking the smoothest line are the key.

Congrats, you are going to have a blast!
I'm going to disagree with the coasting part. On straights you should always be applying as much throttle as possible. Brake hard as late as you can to have the car settled before turning into the apex. Then you should be on what's called maintenance throttle through the turn. Enough throttle to keep your speed up and moving through the turn. Apply more throttle as early as you can coming out of the apex. Meaning...as you are unwinding steering out of the turn you can be applying throttle in proportion to your straightening the wheel.

I'm not saying you're wrong Blade, just based on my very limited track experience (4 track days total so far, but many more to come), and reading, as well as paying for a professional race car driver instructor for an entire day, coasting is not something i've been informed is desirable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
I did one track event fully stock recently. Tires held up pretty well. If you push it hard they will look like crap by the end of your sessions but will eventually wear back nicely. Brakes started to fade after a few laps but were never too bad where I wasn't going to be able to stop. The car never went into limp mode and ran just fine even though I pushed it hard.
This is about what i'd expect from the M235i. Good to hear there was no limp mode.
Appreciate 0