02-21-2016, 03:31 AM   #36
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post
How interchangeable are the S55 internals? Or should I start pulling Johnny Trans out of M4s and M3s and do a full motor swap?

They should be fairly interchangeable, as BMW GENIUS mentioned, both engines share the same stroke and bore dimensions. S55 higher redline being a byproduct of the forged rotating assembly rather than wider bore/shorter throw. No one has done that to my knowledge, but 3rd party aftermarket components would probably be much better value for money. I can't see BMW S55 components being very competitive on the price front.

If you found a written off M3/4 with salvageable internals, the engine swap would be the worthwhile route rather than a component grab as labour for an engine rebuild would be higher than a swap anyway.

But using a turbo of the OPs size on an N55 will have to constitute some form of upgrading. I don't think a stock N55 would be that god-tier in terms of prolonged reliability running one of those. Plus the trans is probably less robust than the engine too - i.e it will encounter slip long before any rod failure occurs. But I'm sure Enzo will have supporting mods to accompany.
Appreciate 0