BMW GENIUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatisntnow View Post
"The crankshaft of the N55 is of lightweight design, at 20.3 kg it’s approximately 3 kg lighter than the crankshaft in the N54 engine.
The crankshaft is made from cast iron (GGG70). The counterweights are arranged asym- metrically. There is no incremental wheel installed on the crankshaft. The timing chains are mounted by means of an M18 central bolt."

That is the standard N55 variant. The one in the M235i does have a different crankshaft part number which has lead people to assume it could be forged. But there is no official confirmation to this. Either way, the N55 has proven itself to be an extremely robust engine with stock internals as evidenced by the pure stage 2 builds forum members have been running for 1000s of miles without issue.

The S55 is a fully forged engine.
How interchangeable are the S55 internals? Or should I start pulling Johnny Trans out of M4s and M3s and do a full motor swap?

The S55 has the same exact bore and stroke IIRC so I couldn't imagine why the rotating assembly wouldn't be able to swap over to an N55. But no one will ever know until someone takes the plunge!
Appreciate 0