View Single Post
      08-06-2015, 12:28 PM   #33
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Just to update my thread from few month ago.

Yes, thanks to MrBucket and Wheelwright. They were absolutely correct! I was getting stuck on the reverse gate when I try to slam the gear lever in the down/left direction.

After knowing this, I learnt to softly move the lever to the left and then down to avoid getting stuck on the reverse gate. However, during spirited driving, it unavoidably happens once a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelwright View Post
Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd is difficult in BMW geaboxes because you can inadvertently get stuck on the reverse gate. Blame idiotic BMW/Mini reverse gear engineering which prioritizes comfort/laziness over shift precision and speed (Audi/VW do this right because in their setup reverse gear never gets in the way). I feel that OP doesn't have a skill or experience to shift smoothly to 2nd gear using this stupid BMW setup. I don't blame him. I myself would have bought Audi S3 without a second thought if it was offered with a manual transmission just because you can shift VAG gearboxes much faster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBucket View Post
I may have an idea of what is going on as I noticed its something I've done on occasion downshifting into second.

I've noticed that when downshifting I sometimes push the shift lever too far to the left where reverse is forward. I'm not a fan of how with BMW's reverse lockout you just push a little bit harder past where the gates for 1st and 2nd are. I much prefer how Audi does it for 6 speed shift patterns where you need to push down vertically on the shifter when its pushed leftwards.

It doesn't make any grinding noises or anything and it wont go into gear. You are probably wiggling it just enough to get it to pop back out past the lockout by the time the revs drop and then are able to get it in.

Last edited by Merc for hire; 08-09-2015 at 12:56 PM..
Appreciate 0