tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomfg View Post
Wow, it's crazy for me to read this; my opinion and experience are the exact opposite of yours. I've never driven a manual Audi, but I have driven several late-model VW manuals, and for me, the reverse position and selection process in the M235i is *much* better than the VWs.

One of my favorite things about the M235i manual is how much force it takes to get the shifter to go left when shifting into reverse. It blows my mind that anyone could accidentally shift into reverse--it takes at least 10 times more force to get it over there than it does to move into any other gear. It takes so much intention to get it over there, I never have to worry about it.

On the other hand, VW gearboxes only require a modest downward force to get into reverse (which is located in the same place on the gear 'map' as BMWs), which, for me, was much, much easier to do accidentally. I did it many times. Anyway, that's my 2¢, obviously we've had pretty different experiences.

Also, as per OP, I've never had any problem doing a rapid shift from 3rd to 2nd--from what you've said, I'd say there is something wrong with your gearbox.
Agree with everything you said. I've never had any issue with the manual in my 228.