04-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #41
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Totally understand what you're saying - the problem is that BMW themselves, most likely in a marketing stunt, claimed that the M235 was faster than the 1M (I believe) around the Ring. So it started the conversation there...

Then the confusion was compounded when people thought that BMW was positioning the M235 to be a direct replacement of the 1M - which is never was...that's coming in about 2 years I think.

Having had 2 135s, I can say that there are definitely good points about both cars. I doprefer the 2er, and that preference grows on me more as I have the car longer. It is very much as "alive" as the 135, and also definitely quicker...the 1M is a completely different animal, as it was designed to be...but they are hard to find and people want a small house in exchange for one - just not doable for me.

As a result, the M235 is an awesome car that will suit me as the best choice available in the current BMW lineup....until the M2 arrives.
I'm glad this conversation is back to where it should be.

YES, BMW is to blame. They really confused the market. I was really excited about the M235i as a replacement to the 1M because it is the more practical car but BMW hosed it for me. They put so many badges and even replaced the useful, purposeful oil gauge with a logo. I had mine spec'd with the base Alcantara Cloth interior but not an option for US. Our base is Vinyl! They made the TV display and idrive mandatory as well as active suspension all of this took the wind out of my sails. Nothing wrong with all the stuff for those that want it, but if I would've been able to get it the way I wanted, I would have one right now.

If next year, I can order an M235i the way I want it, it would go to the top of my list and I would take off the silly badges!

By the way, I drive a 330i ZHP...with no 330i badge.
Appreciate 0