chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
Foolish argument, childish really.

I drove both the M235i and the 228i extensively. I realised that, stock, they both understeer, there was way too much body roll in all axes, and this was affecting the way the power was being put down on the road and the effect of the cars' output. This was much more noticeable in the bigger, heavier 235 but also an issue for the 228. I talked to my tuners; the consensus was that a properly modified 228 is a better car than a stock 235 (note, this was their opinion, albeit one with which I concur) and that for less than the difference in price between the two cars stock, I could mod the 228's suspension and tune the engine to the point at which it would handle much better, have livelier driving dynamics and be quicker than a stock 235 for the kind of driving I do, which involves a lot of canyon roads and stop-start city driving.

Note my use of italics above. These are to emphasize that, as I pointed out before, any judgement on which is the better car is subjective and must be qualified as such instead of presented as incontrovertible fact. If I wanted the car with more muscle, for example if I did more long-distance highway driving, of course the 235 would be more appropriate (but not better), just as it would be on the autobahn. Those of you who are presenting the M235i as indisputably the better car are engaging in a very crude and unhelpful form of logical argument that could not pass muster in a half-decent college environment, let alone among adults.

In four years I will move from the modded 228 to an M2. I hope I will not be either so defensive, insecure or ignorant to be on here all day beating my chest about having a "better" car than the 235. It's bad manners and sheds more heat than light.
Who is beating their chest? You seem to have a little case of Napoleon complex.

By your same adolescent drivel, one should only buy the cheapest car, then modify it to be better than more expensive cars. Foolish argument, childish really.

Why move to the M2 in 4 years? Your 228 is already the best BMW anyone can buy.

Bad manners? No one insulted anyone nor did they say anything disrespectful, you have a case of butthurtitis, and you really need to check your feelings at the door.
Appreciate 2