View Single Post
      01-29-2018, 03:36 AM   #11
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
There's another thread somewhere where it' also mentioned about some of the stuff you may also want for driving 'round that part of Europe. It'd be a lot easier if BMW can provide the accessories on collection (1L screenwash; spare bulb set; parking disc; hi-visibility jackets).

At the risk of repetition, if you go to Austria or Switzerland, you need to buy a windscreen sticker ('vignette') to use the freeways and some main roads. You can usually buy one at the border or at petrol stations. Highway police in A and CH are hot on stopping cars without a vignette.

Most EU countries use a parking 'disc' for 'free' parking (but with a limit on maximum parking time) - this is just a piece of cardboard with a 12h dial and you set the dial to your arrival time and display it in the window. Most garages hand them out for free.

This is a contentious issue, but BMW is hot on only using BMW concentrate in the screenwash when you refill it. PLain water is fine, but just be aware that using cheap petrol station screenwash can cause problems. So I'd pick up a 1L bottle of this on delivery if possible.

Some countries require you to carry a set of spare bulbs in the car. Again, this is something that would be useful to get when the car is collected. Be aware that this can be pricey (£80 for my M235i!).

Carrying Hi-visibility jackets is also mandatory in most EU countries. If you are forced to stop on the hard shoulder or break down, you need to put them on if you get out the car. Hopefully, you get these on collection.