GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipMPower View Post
Yes, you are right, BMW really doesn't have a model to compete with the 911. Audi has the R8, which is pretty different to the 911, and AMG the AMG GT. Wouldn't you want a 911 competitor from BMW? Would be nice, wouldn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
I want a lot of badges so people can see I'm rich!
At least here in the states I'm guessing BMW has never green-lit a 911 competitor because that income bracket doesn't see BMW as its brand. Most rich guys I talk to don't see an M car as rich guy's car ... for their kid or wife, yes, but not for them. It's a market segmentation thing.

Look at the SL63 - MB can sell those at $150+ and the SL65 at $180+ so how about BMW? They have to discount M5s and M6s. Why? Actual rich people don't buy them.

Thus the irony of lots of M-badges is that it appeals to people who aren't rich - market segment fail.

So it makes sense that Mercedes-AMG would build a GT and BMW wouldn't ... BMW has a small window / opportunity to change this perception, however, with electric cars and the "i" brand. The newly rich younger demo may see an i8 like a rich guy sees a SL63. Audi was able to break the segmentation barrier with the R8 - they haven't been able to repeat that, but they did it. The i8 is looking similar.
Appreciate 0