View Single Post
      07-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #163
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I really honest to god am not trying to argue or start anything but I see "salesmen" quoted a lot. I have seen people say they don't break-in their cars because salesman told them not necessary despite the engineers saying they should. I see salesmen jumping on open doors to show you they don't bend. OK but I'm not going to put 200lbs on my door hinge. I see salesmen tell people all sorts of insane things. I don't know why salesmen are considered authorities?

Even engineers worry me but I would take their word over a salesman any day. Remember the airbus crash at Paris airshow? Engineers figured the plane could land itself and would ignore the pilots if the computer thought they were wrong. When they did a low fly-by for the spectators, the computer overrode the pilots who tried to pull up and put the plane into landing straight into the forest. Engineers with over reliance and arrogance as to their programming prowess killed a lot of people. Most are smart and wish to hear their logic for dropping it but in the end they will say the same thing that they have all these systems doing this and that. The problem is that they break and when they do, something like a temp gauge mean the difference between annoyance or something worse.
Common sense helps. Unfortunately, it is not all that common.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0