10-06-2017, 07:15 AM   #7
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
So i need a methanol update. How is the system working? Do you have the Jb4/meth integration kit ? What nozzles are you run ? Stock turbo, 93 octane ? What are you using for methanol? Windshield washer fluid or straight meth?
Unfortunately I work too much and have a company vehicle, so any work or issues take a long time to resolve for me because I like to do my own work.

That being said the methanol system is up and running perfect. Car feels like a complete beast now even without e85 mixed in.

Now that the system is smoothly I will have time to experiment with differnt methanol concentrations. I have been talking with one of the guys from pure turbos Peter a lot recently. He was telling me best results for him were around 80/20 mix by volume. That is likely where I will start.

I was originally running 100% meth. I would use the yellow heet bottles from home Depot, gas stations ect. They are actually pretty confident. I would fill my tank up with about 11 of them, then just keep 3 or 4 in the side cubby in the back. That way I could always easily top off.

I do plan on buying a 5 gallon drum of methanol and mixing with distilled water myself eventually when I find a supplier close by. I believe this will be the most controlled way to do things.

Just make sure that if you go windshield wiper fluid that you get the cheapest kind and look for -20 degrees or whatever winter mix you can find. Once you have the brand that you are going to use check the msds sheets (Google it). That is the material saftey data sheets, those will tell you the methanol concentration. Just be aware that it may be by volume or by weight. Just make sure you convert to volume if that is the method you prefer. Then add the appropriate amount of heet to get to the blend you'd like to use.

* Side note* notice that windshield washer fluid and heet, and most other similar bottles have a plastic/foil seal. When you puncture or tear it off the foil will somewhat delaminate from the plastic. It is only a matter of time before small scraps of foil ride the flow off the bottle and into the tank. I noticed this right away so I am always very careful to completely remove it or do a clean cut with a knife to avoid foil particles.

When people say meth is finicky and clogs I suspect that the foil is a large cause of flow issues.

I have the one gallon tank, stainless steel lines and an-4 fittings. I run dual nozzle injection on the charge pipe with a cm5 and cm7. I did run a single cm 10 at one point. 2 nozzles are slightly more of a pia to set up, but it feels like smoother flow. My car uses jb4 integration and is fbo. I always use 93 pump and occasionally add e85 when I happen to be driving by that gas station.

I just bought an external GPS logger to track times like 0-60 or 60-130 as a performance measure. I plan on trying different settings in the jb4 on map 3 and maybe creating a map 6 tnd logging times to check performance. I am having an issue with my wheel fitment rubbing right now so I won't be logging untill I figure that one out.

I rolled the fenders last night, but there is still one more spot that is rubbing and has substantially damaged my tire. I need to figure that one out and get a replacement tire before I start performance testing haha. Also I'd like to verify the GPS accuracy at the drag strip so I know that the numbers are precise and accurate. (Gpsx 160 skyview). It is supposed to be decent, but was also on the lower end for cost, $130. That is why i'd like to test it out, before dedicating the into "tuning".
Appreciate 0