nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1er View Post
Let me put it this way...

In a few year you go to a dealer to trade your manual 228i for something new. When valuing your car he'll go, for sure, like:
"Oh, a manual? Yeah, people don't really go for these anymore...all they want are auto's...this car's value will be on the low end.."
If you'd've bought an auto, he'd be like:
"hmmm, an auto!? Yeah, people much rather manual sports cars these days, it's the old school appeal ya know!? Everytime someone has a trade-in it's an auto, we're full of them and no one wants them...if it was a manual dear sir..."

There seems to be quite a lot of demand for manuals these days, almost equivalent to autos, so I'm sure you'll be fine, and even if there were only a few manuals out there, that could play to your advantage, as some desperate 2nd hand manual buyer with no options would pay you asking price for your used 228 manual.

Enjoy what you like best, nevermind value, you'll be ok!
Exactly!

There are such few manuals left that they are rare. Automatics are a dime a dozen. I have been told the same thing by dealers, they don't order manuals because they "don't sell." Then the same dealer told 4 weeks later when I saw a MT listed and it was sold when I got there, that they sell quickly. It's all BS.

I already told this story about when I was buying a MT 325i, the salesman kept telling me I was an idiot and no one would buy a red 325i MT with black interior. Many years later I ordered my 1M and got a letter about buying my 325i. I took it in and guy in used car department said, wow that is a clean 325i but we have too many, sorry. Then I put it in gear and started pulling away and he said.....oh....a manual...hang on. He calls some guy on the phone and says hey Bob we have a guy with a clean 325i and an offer letter.....but it's a manual......OK. He says the used car manager is coming over. Few minutes later, THE SAME GUY that told me I was an idiot for wantng a MT comes waltzing over. He doesn't remember me and looks at my car and tells the other guy to look it over and make me an offer. I left and put it on Craigslist instead.
Appreciate 0