04-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #92
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
So you're speaking for yourself... except for the part where you have some unique, empirical insight in to the broad reliability of German made road cars:

We all live somewhere. We all see our unique slice of the universe. No one person's view is any more accurate than the other, unless they're a researcher compiling data for a study.

Don't mistake that I disagree with you on BMW reliability. I just think you're holding a double standard as it relates to your viewpoint versus other forum users'.

In studies based on collected data (not just individually observed data), BMW doesn't rate well in relative reliability. For example:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...gineering.html

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct...ility-20101027

Some people take issue with the data that Consumer Reports collects, but there aren't a lot of people performing long term reliability studies, so we make decisions using the data we have.
That is very true however, the Germans are very proud of their brands and when you see Audi and the VW group stacking much better than BMW and Opel in reliability reports in Germany, has to give you sense of which way your reliability euros or dollars should swing towards.... Allow me to remind you that the VW group is nowhere near the Japanese in reliability....

these are not my broad statistics. These are from the ADAC monthly journal which is like saying AAA in the states. These guys keeps stats on everything...
Yeah of course this is not with pin point accuracy... nothing is when it come to car statistics...!

No European brand is up to par with the Japanese in reliability. For this same reason the average car age in Germany is no more the 8 years old... you rarely see a car here with more than 200 thousand KM's...

If you look at my wifes E46 32Od Touring Wagon you wouldn't think much of it.... i Would be really surprise if this car would pass inspection this year. the TUV is tough and not only that but they keep records of deficiencies in the car and they would use it to determine if car is fit for the road or not... Too many issues in one area of your car can mean failure and unfit,... which means a very expensive paper weight...you will have to junk it... ! Another reason you dont see very old cars here in Germany... and before you say classics, those fall in a different segment....

You may think this has nothing to do with reliability but it does, because everything get recorded and get taken in consideration...

Last edited by MSport_Jon; 04-16-2014 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0