View Single Post
      03-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #68
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley71 View Post
Have you seen pictures of people in the back seat of the CLA? Saw a video last night with a 5' 8" guy squeezing into the backseat and complaining about headroom! Let me repeat that 5' 8" complaining about head room, not to mention legroom, in the backseat.

I've grown to think of it as an attractive car, the CLA, but it can't be seen as a car for people who want to have comfortable backseat passengers. BMW, with the GT series is definitely catering to backseat passengers.

The two products have totally different objectives, I don't see the comparison.

I doubt the M2 Gran Coupe will be any better for back seat passengers nor is it meant to be. these companies are NOT creating these cars to appeal to people who constantly have 4 adults in their car. Its meant for younger people with kids up to say 10-12 years old who would have no problem in the back seat. Thats why I am considering this car, when my lease on my 335i is up in 2 1/2 years I will have two kids in boosters, a 2 series gran coupe will have plenty of room for them.

I was really excited to see the specs on the CLA AMG until I read that its FWD unless the car senses traction is needed in the rear and then it goes to a max of 50% rear power. I was hoping for more of a Audi setup, 40/60 standard driving split... Also the interior is really cheap looking on the CLA, the NAV screen is pretty tiny and sticks out like a sore thumb (the F30 screen which also sort of sticks out look much nicer). the big question will be can BMW price the M2 GC at $48K starting price? isn't that what the 1M started at and this is supposed to be more up market... Now the S3 and potention RS3 will be a bigger concern for BMW as they have AWD done the right way and their pricing should be similar to Mercedes, although again the interior is kind of cheap looking and the exterior is normal boring Audi.

BMWs other problem is the CLA AMG arrives THIS FALL! and the S3 next spring, RS3 nobody knows yet, maybe next fall. the 2 series gran coupe is at least 1 1/2 years away and M version probably 2 1/2 years away.
Appreciate 0